"A word after a word after a word is power”

10.16.2006

"Open for Business" or "Wild and Wonderful": Which is More Appealing?

It's pretty obvious. A 20-year-old WVU student has started a petition drive to get West Virginia to change it's welcome signs from "Open for Business," which has to be one of the most bland, boring and uninspiring phrases of all time, to "Wild, Wonderful West Virginia," which is a great deal better and has the weight of tradition behind it as well.

I don't mind Manchin. I think he's a decent, if not a visionary, governor, but damn, he's as corporate as they come. There's a lot more important issues facing the state, but, if only for the sake of my blood pressure every time I cross the border, I hope this petition drive is successful.

"Open for Business" makes the state sound like a fucking drycleaners.

The petition can be found here.

No comments: